16. LEWIS SAUL: The History of Black Hocket


The lead sheet and three performances of my 1978 composition, BLACK HOCKET.


I wrote this in 1977. I was in a band -- ATMOSPHERE -- here in Tucson between 1977-78. Hocket, a derivative of the Latin "hiccup" is defined here. The "black" is the B section, meaning both dark and (hopefully) black, i.e. soulful...

This was recorded at a local studio in one take, very shortly after it was composed.

MIKE SHELLANS, Trombone
LEWIS SAUL, Fender Rhodes Electric Piano, Composer
BRIAN BROMBERG, Acoustic Bass (age 16)
RANDY WHITE, Drums

Black Hocket (1977) (3:30)




Black Hocket (1990) (3:42)

This version is from 1990 -- one of my very first attempts at MIDI. The sound is pretty crappy, but I think my solos are pretty cool...


Black Hocket (2000) (3:49)

And finally, the version on WA...

Comments

Popular Posts