410. Hospitals Suck

On Wednesday evening, November 18, 2015, I sat down to continue my perusal of my nearly complete Criterion Collection, Spine #359 -- "The Double Life of VĂ©ronique" by Krzysztof Kieslowski.

After the Polish changed into French, I began to notice that I was having an extremely difficult time concentrating on the film. That's not normal. I can watch Kobayashi's nine-hour "The Human Condition" without blinking.

Kobayashi: "The Human Condition"

Minutes later, I was both sitting on and kneeling in prayerful posture at The Porcelain Throne.

Some Pepto-Bismal was attempted (good OTC product -- usually works!) but by 3:00 A.M., it was obvious that something terrible was going on in my internal workshop. As much as I hated the idea -- knowing full well what we were probably in for -- we decided to go to the E.R.

Off to St. Mary's Hospital -- which is literally just five minutes away -- and I wait in pain for 15 minutes or so until I'm seen.

After a bunch of tests, I'm admitted due to a very high white blood cell count. The IV goes in the arm with no trouble and I'm wheeled into a room (thank God, no roommate the entire stay) ...

Okay -- here comes the fun part. This is why St. Mary's Hospital got a D.

St. Mary's Gets a D.


  • I have been taking Tylenol with Codeine #4 for 28 years for chronic back pain. I am what they call "Codeine-Dependent." I take a strictly limited amount to obtain enough relief so that I am actually able to compose music for a few hours each day when the pain subsides to the level that permits even the tiniest bit of creativity. My PCP once assured me that if I ever ended up in a hospital that I would get the same dosage of medication I normally take.
  • If I take a substantially lower dose of this medication, I become quite ill -- upset stomach, severe nausea, cramping, respiratory distress, etc. It is not fun.
  • When they wrote down my medication (we had brought in the pill bottles), they neglected to notice the #4 in the rx, and my first delivery of pain meds was a lone Tylenol #3.
  • One Tylenol #4 is exactly twice as strong as one Tylenol #3. As I begged the nurses to look into their mistake, I was quickly much sicker than I should have been at that point.
  • One nurse decided that perhaps I'd calm down if she faked me out:
    • "Oh, Mr. Sa-ool, don't worry -- our pharmacy carry very strong Tylenol #3 ... is equivalent to your Tylenol #4. Special potency from St. Mary Pharmacy. Don't worry."
  • Bitch.
  • It took two days to straighten it out -- the doctor was apologetic.
  • Meanwhile, the IV from the E.R. was leaking blood. My forearm was marked with lines of dried blood in no time. The nurses told me not to worry about it.
  • Finally, one nurse did worry about it. They tried to put a new one in the other arm, painfully sticking me two or three times before giving up.
  • It was another 24 hours until (finally) this guy Bill from the IV team came in and quickly found a new location on the same arm and painlessly inserted a new IV. More unnecessary suffering.
  • Here's one of the funniest ones. Try not to get grossed out, because it really is funny!
  • I was supposed to have "The Procedure" (upper endoscopy and lower sigmoidoscopy) at 10:00 A.M. on Friday. Two women came in to give me two enemas. One of them was a Muslim (she was wearing a hijab). This Arizona Enema Bandit was having the time of her life, twirling away -- and I started to moan a bit.
  • "Ooooh," she half-giggles. "Don't make sex sound! Don't make sex sound!"
  • Ugh.
  • At 10:40 the nurse walks in a says the procedure is cancelled because my Potassium level was sky high (or too low? who can remember?)
  • When I first sat on the Bathroom Throne, the high water level had my Twin Boys soaked in water halfway up. Thereafter, for the rest of my stay, I held up The Boys with two fingers of one hand while using my other hand to help Mr. Wonderful from also taking an unwanted bath.
  • Hospital food is supposed to be bad -- but inedible? Everything but the jello was completely inedible. Even Joannie -- who eats anything -- couldn't touch the stuff.
  • Speaking of Joannie, having your loved one around to help take care of you is a blessing beyond anything you can imagine when you don't have it!
Four days of torture -- and when I got home last night I felt happy -- yea, ecstatic!

Gonna watch my diet, drink lots of water (Evian of course) and thank God for getting me out of that place still alive.

Comments

Unknown said…
Ugh. Best wishes Lewis.

Popular Posts