425. Why Coca-Cola can never seem to get it right.

So they're on board with the voting rights thing now.

On April 23, 1985 they removed the old Coca-Cola from all the stores and replaced it with something called "New Coke."


Man, was I pissed.

I grew up drinking Coca-Cola and always preferred it to Pepsi. It was my soft drink of choice.

So I wrote a letter. I reproduce it here:

**

"YECH-O. THIS COKE TASTE DIFFERENT."

July 2, 1985

Coca-Cola
Atlanta, Georgia

Gentlepeople:

I wish to vehemently protest the change in Coca-Cola.

I am extremely disappointed in your company for making this change. I have purchased Coca-Cola, exclusive of ALL other soft drinks since I was 17 years old (I am now 33).

It is completely beyond me how you arrived at the decision to change the taste of Coca-Cola. The "new" Coke tastes disgusting to me, and I do not believe I am alone.

I have purchased approximately $200 worth of "old" Coca-Cola, but I know it won't last long.

Why not sell both "old" AND "new" Coke, if you insist on trying to sell your product to people who drink Pepsi? That way, you can pander this disgusting new formula to people who don't know any better, but continue to sell the refreshing, real taste of the "old" Coke to your loyal followers.

If you don't do this, I am quite certain that you have made one of the most -- no, make that absolutely THE most -- stupendously stupid business decisions in American history.

I know that I will never drink your new formula: I HAVE tasted it and, as I said, find the taste disgusting. Yesterday, I purchased eight bottles of Coke, which looked "old," but which were in fact "new" Coke.

As an alternative, have you considered selling the formula, with precise instructions detailing how to prepare it, to an outside entity? I cannot believe that you would just "throw away" such a huge market, which I am sure you realize exists.

We do exist and in large numbers. We drank Coke because we liked it; we specified Coke when we ordered soft drinks in a restaurant, because we knew what we liked; and we avoided Arby's and went to McDonald's so we could get "THE REAL THING" with our meal!

C'mon folks! How could you do this to us? Are you really prepared for bankruptcy?

There are many others like me who won't take this lying down. If the old Coke doesn't reappear, I will devote continual energy to increase public awareness of your folly.

You have taken one of life's greatest pleasures from me, and I am very upset.

Your marketing surveys stink and you stink for paying Bill Cosby to lie to America.

Sincerely yours,

Lewis R. Saul
Former Coke Drinker

P.S. Please don't send me a coupon for "new" Coke -- I don't like it, I don't want it, and it makes me sick.

On the other hand, if you know where I can get some "old" Coke, I'd pay dearly for it.

Maybe that's your plan, though.

**

Postscript: Of course, they sent me a bunch of coupons for "new" Coke!

After eight short days after the date of my letter, the Coca-Cola Company brought back the "old" Coke, renaming it "Classic Coke."

New Coke was discontinued in 2002.

**

After I moved to Arizona in the 80s, I discovered that with a short, one-hour drive to the Mexican border, I could go to a bottler in Nogales that sold Coca-Cola in bottles made with SUGAR -- not that yucky high-fructose corn syrup:


Now, THAT's the "real thing," now sold in our stores here in Tucson. Is it available in the East?

Comments

Popular Posts